There’s no doubt about it; being a nursing major is challenging. Going into college prepared to handle whatever comes your way will be key to be to your success.
Being prepared involves developing solid habits around a few key things. Here are the five things successful nursing majors did in college.
- They studied a little every day.
- They formed a study group.
- They asked for help.
- They planned.
- They kept an open mind.
If you want more details on how to be a successful nursing major, keep reading!
1. They studied a little every day. Cramming before an exam rarely works out well. If you break the curriculum into smaller, easier to digest bites, you’ll feel less overwhelmed and retain more information.
2. They formed a study group. Research shows that students who study with a study group retain approximately 90% of what they learn as opposed to just 60% of what they hear in class alone, and just 10% of what they read.
3. They asked for help. Don’t ever be afraid to rely on friends, professors, or advisors for help academically, personally, or simply to talk out your frustrations.
4. They planned. Whether you prefer a physical planner or an app on your phone, tracking and scheduling everything you have on your plate helps make sure you’re able to allocate sufficient time to each task.
5. They kept an open mind. Nursing is often the first major many students consider when they want a career in healthcare. While this is a great career path, nursing isn’t for everyone. In fact, some students start out as nursing majors and move into other healthcare fields.
As some students learn more about the healthcare field, they may change majors for a variety of reasons. There are other career paths that a student can take including:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Radiological Sciences
- Cardiorespiratory Therapy
- Speech Pathology and Audiology
- General Health Sciences
Your first year in a nursing program is a major change from your senior year of high school. Starting with good habits will make a big impact how successful you will be.