At USA, our bachelor’s degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) prepares our students for careers in both the local and global service industries. As you study HTM at South Alabama, you’ll also have access to internships and professional connections in the many tourism and hospitality-related businesses and organizations in the Gulf Coast region. What does this mean? If you graduate with this degree, you’ll be a strong candidate for the following exciting and vibrant jobs:
- Cruise Director. Yes, people actually get paid to throw parties for people and travel all over the world. They’re called cruise directors, and they’re responsible for ensuring that all passengers on cruises are happy and safe. A cruise director will emcee the on-board entertainment, so a love for performance theater is a plus.
- Event Planner. Another party-planning position is an event planner, which many organizations employ to ensure that all events run smoothly. If you’re a stickler for detail and can remain cool under pressure, an event planner may be a perfect career for you.
- Travel Agent.“Half of the fun of traveling is planning the trip.” If this sounds like you, check out travel agent as a career. Although the advent of websites like Expedia and Orbitz has decreased the prevalence of travel agencies, there are many travel agents who are quite successful, particularly in highly specialized experiences and destinations. A travel agent handles every aspect of a client’s itinerary: from flights to hotel bookings. Many people are anxious about booking their own travel, and a travel agent’s help can be quite a relief.
- Tourism Bureau Director. Almost every city has a tourism bureau: an organization devoted to promoting the city to people who may want to come visit. If you love your hometown and just know that everyone else would, too, this would be great career to explore.
- Restaurant Consultant. Are you obsessed with scrolling through #eeeats on Instagram? Do you often go out to eat, only to find yourself analyzing the restaurant’s menu and decor? If so, restaurant consulting may be an area to explore as a potential career. Budding restaurateurs hire consultants to ensure no costly mistakes are made while launching their new business.
If any of these potential jobs piques your interest, be sure to check out our Hospitality and Tourism Management program at USA.